lundi 4 juillet 2016

Python CSV reading ascii delimited text?


You may or may not be aware of ASCII delimited text, which has the nice advantage of using non-keyboard characters for separating fields and lines.

Writing this out is pretty easy:

import csv

with open('ascii_delim.adt', 'w') as f:
    writer = csv.writer(f, delimiter=chr(31), lineterminator=chr(30))
    writer.writerow(('Sir Lancelot of Camelot', 'To seek the Holy Grail', 'blue'))
    writer.writerow(('Sir Galahad of Camelot', 'I seek the Grail', 'blue... no yellow!'))

And, sure enough, you get things dumped out properly. However, on reading, lineterminator does nothing, and if I try to do

open('ascii_delim.adt', newline=chr(30))

it throws a ValueError: illegal newline value:

Boo.

So how can I read in my ASCII delimited file? Am I relegated to doing line.split(chr(30))?


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire